Sunday, August 9, 2015

Easy & Healthy Breakfast Idea: Overnight Oats


Hey guys!! So wooow, it feels like it's been forever (it actually has been though hehehe) since I put up a blog post but things have just been all over the place the past few months and I don't know why I'm telling you about this but just to update any of you who have been checking back for new posts! I've been working on career-related things and I went back to school to get my master's degree so I've been a little preoccupied outside of the Internet and unfortunately, this blog had to suffer for a while BUT I do want to keep putting stuff out cause I am constantly coming up with ideas for this blog! :)

Anyway, back to the actual topic of this blog post! Today, I wanted to share one of my favorite breakfast recipes that I've been making a lot lately. I am not a morning person by any means and if I can use my breakfast prep time to sleep, you best believe I will! So since I've been having to wake up quite early lately, I found a solution - Overnight Oats. They're quick, healthy, easy and require ingredients that you might already have in your house. The best part about this recipe? All the "cooking" happens literally while you are sleeping. You're welcome.  ;)



What you're going to need:
  • 1/2 cup rolled oats (I'm using 1-minute oats but regular will work fine)
  • 1/2 cup milk of your choice
  • 1/2 cup yogurt
  • 1/2 of a medium sized ripe banana
  • A handful of berries of your choice, sliced
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tbs whole chia seeds
  • 1 tbs milled flax seeds (optional)
  • Mixing bowl
  • Mason jar with lid for storing





Steps:

1) In a medium mixing bowl, mash the banana until smooth. You can also add a few of your berries and mash them together to incorporate their flavor.


2) Add the oats, milk and yogurt and mix well.

3) Stir in the chia seeds, flaxseeds and cinnamon.


4) Once everything is mixed, you can transfer your oats into a mason jar and top with the sliced berries or you can choose to add in the berries fresh the next day. Personally, I prefer adding them the night before just to save me time.





5) Cover and refrigerate overnight or for 6-8 hours. Since the lid of the jar I was using had a hole in it, I lined the rim with a plastic bag prior to refrigerating to seal everything in nicely.



Serving size - 1 person

*

What I love about this recipe is that you can tailor it to your preference! If you want it sweeter, you can add honey, agave syrup or choose a banana that's reeeeaally ripe. You can even go all out and add chocolate chips, nuts or sprinkles. Whatever floats your boat. It's a great grab-and-go breakfast and it keeps me full and fueled the whole morning.

If you ever do test this recipe out, please tweet me pictures @mykiwiseed on Twitter/Instagram.

Happy eating (and sleeping!).



No comments:

Post a Comment